We’re going to talk about a few things that have been changing and evolving in the social media world. To *survive* in this industry, you need to be listening to this entire podcast!
We have a wonderful guest today in the studio: Welcome Deanna Leigh Miller, co-founder of Stark Social Media, who’s in charge of our social media/web design and with whom we’ve been doing the Stark and HomeSmart Social Media Series, which you can all find on her StarkSocial app. They are life changing; you should go and listen to all of them! You can also listen to her on her own podcast, The Social Life.
5 things that we need, as real estate agents, to embrace:
- Facebook Live Videos; this is your moment to reach whoever is on Facebook/likes you page/is following you etc. So you need to make sure that you are targeting your audience, which hasn’t been that easy in the past. In the coming months, there is going to be the opportunity to build and create a more tailored, ideal audience. Facebook rolls things out to page that are the most active; so do something with it!
So is a 2min video that gets about 500 views a successful live video? –Yes, that’s fantastic! 500 people got to engage with you and kept watching your video (Facebook only tracks a view after the viewers watches about 30 seconds of it and more). Plus we don’t always want to be seeing you at your open house; we want to get some snapshots from your life, to get a sense of who you really are. If hundreds and thousands of people get to see your video, this is working for branding as it gets your name out there!
You want to make sure that you are connecting with people in your community who are supportive of your business and give them a shout out from time to time. For example make a video at your favorite restaurant; anything that can benefit your local community.
- Facebook has been developing new ways of advertising. We so the addition of the Lead Generation Ads. Lead ads let people show their interest in a product or service by filling out a form in the ad with their details and allowing a business to follow up with them. That was huge for real estate agents and changed the way we think of advertising.
Facebook is going to continue to roll out more and more features like the lead generation ads. And there will be more cool stuff, like doing ads with videos!
- So how much should we be spending on Facebook per month? I spend about $3,000/month, which gives me a return on investment that is quite good. Should we be spending about $10,000/month? Deanna recommends to spend about $300-$500/month if you are just getting started and you should be looking at what your goals are and what you have accomplished so far in terms of sales. And this is also part of building your brand identity!
- It’s always going to be a thing and it’s just going to continue getting better on Facebook because they’re always improving their algorithm for that. For example, I have noticed that they have added more interests, hobbies and other options to better target your audience. You can even better pick the income level of your audience now!
Facebook has also opened their API to a lot of new tools. That means that there are a lot of new tools you can use to retarget and ‘set and forget’. Outside Ad placement is also offered more and more though Facebook so you can actually now see you ad on, say, Home Depot or LA Times blog! But remember it all depends on your budget; the bigger the budget, the more prominent the placement of your add will be!
- LinkedIn has updated their targeting so you can now target zip codes and area codes now as opposed to just, say, Los Angeles or California, which is really big for real estate agents! It is now way easier and budget friendly for those of you who have set up a business page, to boost individual posts and it works like Facebook’s boost. LinkedIn will guide you through the steps once you login to your account!
You can do all kinds of ads on LinkedIn, like a market update or write a blog post and then make it an ad campaign. You can also update a video directly on LinkedIn!